Sunday, July 24, 2011

Quinn's Second Birthday Party!



Things got extremely busy right around Quinn's birthday this year. His actual birthday, the 22nd, was my last day of school. Since I will not be returning to teaching next year, not only was I responsible for all of the last days of school activities with kids, but I was also responsible for packing up my classroom and making room for next year's class. In addition, my southern family was having a large reunion in Oregon for the first time since I was a baby for the entire week. We had to miss all but one day due to the snow days that extended our school year. I hadn't really planned on doing much of a party for Quinn with all of these other things going on, but not doing anything just didn't sit right with me. So on Thursday, around 9pm, (the day after his birthday, after the southern family had to head home), we officially decided to throw a small party for Quinn on Saturday at my parent's house . Ryan was in town for the reunion, and Grandma Cathy just happened to be visiting Delaney that weekend and so it worked out perfectly. I was so glad that we did something, and grateful for family to celebrate with.


In the back of my mind I knew that I wanted to do something, and so I had purchased a cheap printable "transportation" party kit from Etsy. It made everything so easy, and I love the opportunity to decorate a little!




The real highlight in terms of decor was Pat's train cake! It was a nice hot summery day, so as soon as we put it out on the table it started to melt, but you can get the basic idea from these photos. I loved it and look forward to what Pat will create next year! After all, he's decorated Quinn's cake the past two years, I think it has officially become tradition!


The party!

Quinn loves cake, even though this isn't obvious by his expression here. I actually think that he was more interested in play at the beginning of his party. So, he got to unwrap his gifts and do just that, play!

Quinn got spoiled by all. He's still figuring out the present thing, though. After he opens a gift, he is excited about it and wants to play immediately. I enjoy his enthusiasm, but realize that people probably don't want to sit all day and wait for Quinn to get through his gifts. So, we encouraged him to plow through the unwrapping and play later!

Auntie Lolo and Uncle Matt bought Quinn a Toy Story tent. Toy Story is about Quinn's favorite thing ever at two, and so this was the perfect gift. Thank you!

Thanks for the bubble lawn mower and blocks, Uncle Ryan! Quinn loves them both, and mows our carpet frequently!


This is an incredibly fun jump toy that is nearly fully contained! It is perfection! I look forward to being able to set it up in our own yard on nice days, but for now Grandma and Grandpa are storing it for us. Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa for such a fun toy!




Grandma Cathy bought Quinn this adorable first scooter and helmet. Here Quinn is trying to figure it out. It seems to be a fairly intuitive toy, although at this point Quinn prefers to keep both feet up and let us push him around! He's such a busy kid most of the time, I was surprised to see him a little lazy with this awesome toy! Thank you, Grandma Cathy!


Pat and I bought Quinn his first car for his second birthday. We figure now that we've got that out of the way, there will be no expectations once he's a teenager, right?? He seems to love it, but like the scooter, his preference is to be pushed around rather than drive around himself. We're hoping that once he has a little driveway to practice on, he'll get the hang of it and enjoy the ability to move without any help at all!


Thank you to all who helped us celebrate Quinn's birthday, in person or in spirit!


I have to include this photo of Quinn helping Grandpa (or "Papa" as Quinn has named him for now at least) mow the lawn (in his jammies with doggy's help). This was certainly a highlight of Quinn's day, and I'm sure he would have loved to help with the whole lawn. Grandpa didn't go quite as fast with Quinn riding along, though, and so I'm not sure there would have been enough time for Quinn to help much more. :) Thanks for the fun ride, Papa!

Happy 2nd birthday, Quinn Zachary! We love you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment