Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Kids' Rooms!

We moved into our house about six months ago and I've been having fun decorating ever since.  The kids' rooms were the first to be completed because we wanted them to be able to settle in as quickly as possible (particularly Quinn).  These two spaces might be my favorite in the house so far. Kid spaces are so fun to create!

I'll share Kira's nursery first.  I was first introduced to Pinterest when dreaming up this space. I had been pining over her bedding before I even knew I was pregnant with a girl, and it was the first thing I bought as soon as we found out (one day later).   I didn't waste any time.

                                        

I realize this is not a  flattering photo of Kira (seriously, what is up with that expression) or a very good shot of the bedding.  It's the best I've got so go with it.  I loved all of the colors there were to work with in the bumper, and I'm a complete sucker for a paisley print.  Therefore, I was sold.



Here it is!  This is the view as you walk in the room (obviously, I assume).

Jamie deserves the majority of the credit for the inspiration.  Well, Jamie and Pinterest.  :)  Our brother-in-law, Eric, installed the wainscoting and we LOVE it!  It is the icing on the cake for me.  Pat gets the credit for the tree mural (although, the idea is not original.  Blame Pinterest.)

                         
Mariah and I created the flower balls (tutorial found via Pinterest).  They took a ridiculous amount of time (I think it ended up being about 24 hours of labor), but they are pretty and I love them.  Originally I had intended for them to function as a mobile above the crib, but I ended up not wanting to distract from the tree and so they decorate the other corner of the room.  I may request that Kira keep them up until she graduates high school, though.  It seems reasonable to me.


Here's the view from the window.  I have a lot of place holders in the frames now.  I need to place a print order soon, but have gotten quite used to the paper placeholders.  


A close-up of the sign I had made for her room.  Some of my wishes for my girl.  


The decorated armoire/dresser thingy, which I didn't get a good shot of either.  The book is Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman which is the same author who wrote On the Night You Were Born.  That book is sentimental to us because for Quinn's first birthday we received a personalized version of the book, complete with pictures from the night Quinn was born.  Thanks again, Jamie!  So, I figured the 'sister' book was appropriate decor for Kira's room.  

And that sums up her space.  Thanks to everyone who helped make it so special for us!

Now, on to Quinn's room!

In our townhome, I had decided on a Dr. Seuss theme for Quinn's toddler space.  He's not an avid Seuss fan or anything, but he enjoys the books and once again, I was inspired by the bedding.    
  


The view as you walk in the room.


The view from the other side of the room.  The "art" is simply cut out Seuss characters taped onto scrapbook paper.  Simple.



And, the ridiculously fabulous scene that Pat created, inspired by The Lorax (book, not movie).  I love this mural so much, and love the fact that Pat enjoyed creating this awesomeness for his boy.  Sadly, Quinn doesn't really appreciate it.  Hopefully one day he will.


Seuss bed!


Painted Ikea spice racks, used as book storage.  Thanks for the idea, Pinterest!


And, finally, I present to you a quick snapshot of the kids themselves.  Kira climbing on Quinn is pretty typical these days.  I love how he's gazing lovingly at her and she's just after Lucy.  Her tongue comes out and her eyes disappear when she's particularly excited.  They are a fun pair.

3 comments:

  1. Their rooms are so cute! Lucky Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The last picture is SO SO great and so are the kids' rooms! They will both appreciate the effort... someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay you need to quit it right now because I'm feeling pretty horrible about myself ;). You are one amazing mom and your kids are SO lucky to have all your amazing creativity and "go get 'em" spirit. I love the flower balls and agree with you - she'd better love them for a long time. I know she will!!

    ReplyDelete