Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 5

Oh man, I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep up with 30 days straight of blogging, even if each entry is short! There is no shortage of things to be thankful for though, and so I will continue to try. I think it's good for me.

I have to start by admitting how my thankfulness yesterday backfired a little. Yes, I am still thankful for Microsoft, thankful that Pat loves his job, and thankful that he is able to provide for our family. But, I totally take back being thankful for the ending of the OYO (one-year-out) sprint. Pat messaged me about 5pm yesterday and told me that he was asked to come in and work all weekend. What?!? He told me the day before that he should be able to come home early, so why in the world was he having to work two extra days? Not just two extra days, but two extra LONG days. I had already been having a challenging day, and this news was the icing on the cake. I tried to be supportive and told him I understood, but inside I was questioning whether or not I'd be able to make it through the weekend all alone with the kids and no help.

In an effort to turn this lemon of a situation into lemonade, I decided to travel home to see my parents and adorable niece (and sister and brother-in-law). I felt as though I were punishing Pat for working hard and being devoted to his work, but he understood that I could really benefit from being surrounded by my family and so he supported my decision to go.

So today I am thankful that we live within driving distance of our families. I am thankful that my children will grow up surrounded by their loving grandparents, aunties, uncles, and cousins, and this is a luxury that I cherish.

*I am also thankful to the compassionate officer who let me off with a warning on my drive today. I think he pitied my traveling alone with two young children. After having a two-hour detour due to leaving my purse at home I was trying to make up for lost time. His compassion couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you friendly officer, I really needed that.

1 comment:

  1. You are a brave woman traveling alone with two kids! I also think it's hilarious that you got pulled over ;) I'm glad he let you go with a warning!

    ReplyDelete